27 Jun Acts of Whimsy
What mental picture does this image prompt?
Now how about this one?
If you answered, “A reminder to check on my home-owners insurance policy,” you are INCORRECT.
If you answered, “A reminder to live a zany and un-encumbered life of whimsy,” then you are correct.
For those of you vocab-deficit readers who are wondering if ‘whimsy’ is a magical concoction in Cinderella, here is the definition:
- quality of being fanciful
- something quaint or unusual
- capricious humor or disposition; extravagant, fanciful, or excessively playful expression
In this day and age reading a fairy tale on the Metro is whimsical. Baking a delicious dessert for the main course is something a playful child would do. Walking on your hands at age 65 is not the norm. Buying a sailboat instead of a house is unusual. Decorating your living room with rainbows and bubble gum would seem a tad, well, psychotic.
These are somewhat extravagant and dramatic examples of playful and fanciful acts to get your imagination rolling.
Are you ready?
The time is nigh to commit daily acts of whimsy.
Think on your daily routine.
- Is it buying a beta fish in a flower vase to decorate your dining room table?
- Is it joining a yoga class with the goal of being able to stand on your head to impress your grandkids?
- What about taking a quilting class to fulfill a dream?
- How about putting a little extra in the offering plate although it’s not quite sensible?
- Is it your mature adult self going to an animated Pixar movie?
“Living a life fully engaged and full of whimsy and the kind of things that love does is something most people plan to do, but along the way they just kind of forget. ”
Bob Goff, author of the quote above, relays story upon story infused with whimsy in his best-selling book “Love Does,” using his memoirs as a chance to encourage others to not wait until ‘next time.’ From having an office located on Disneyland’s Treasure Island, to wooing his wife leaving peanut butter sandwiches under her windshield wipers, the entire book ripples with spontaneity. Besides being a good read, it is ripe with whimsy fodder for your daily to do list.
Are you ready to join ACCFamily in remembering spontaneity and fanciful, life-giving encounters?
Let’s do it. Let’s partake in acts of whimsy.